Thursday, February 16, 2012

Love Ever After.

After her grandfather's death, Laura Fleishman found a series of love letters that he had written to her grandmother in a book next to his bed. The letter spoke of a young love, the type of love filled with joy and hopeful expectations for the life they were about to embark on together. They had been married for more than 50 years when he passed.

Since, she has embarked on a three year photographic series of "love letters." The dominant portraiture of her series consists of New York couples who have been together for more than 50 years.

She notes, "I photograph these couples as a way to preserve their stories and to illuminate our universal experience of love. From the very beginnings of my career, I've sought out society's unseen population as a way to break down our own perceptions. I learned that photography, with it's unique ability to capture very intimate moments and details, could allow me to challenge perceived barriers between the viewer and the subject.

Most of the couples in my project were photographed in their own homes. They were asked questions like, Where was your first date? When did you know you were in love? Does love change over the years? You see them in their mirrors, standing in their living room, sitting on the antique couches that have been in the family for decades. The environment establishes a connection to the story."

I think these stories and snapshots are unbelievably romantic.

"My wife is 85, and I am 88. I'm only wishing for another 5 or 6 years of life. This is all we want. As a matter of fact, I always say to my wife, I wish I could reach 94. This is the aim of my existence. I'd like to see my grandson earn a living and my grand daughter get married. We want them to be happy the way we were." - Moses Rubenstein
 "What is the secret to love? A secret is a secret and I don't ever reveal my secrets!" - Ykov Shapirshteyn
 "Everyday my wife expresses her love for me. She says, did I tell you how much I love you today? Everyday. Everyday she says that." - Moe Rubenstein
 "You have to remember the times were different. We met in the 1939 and we didn't have money. So our group of friends always met at our friend Betty's basement. There weren't things like dates and going out to dinner. We didn't know from those things because we didn't have money. So we enjoyed each others' company. " - Fran Futterman

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, this is possibly the best thing I have ever seen! I am so moved and inspired by this. To know that kind of love! Thank you so much for sharing this gem.

    ReplyDelete