Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Zip It.

Constructed entirely out of zip ties, this massimal - or 1:1 design object - serves as a prototype to examine how physical form can engage the public realm. These constructs are mass abstractions of animal forms fabricated in sysemic fashion from one material.

This polar bear was an installation in the 2011 Beaux Arts Ball, developed by D.O.T.S. and is comprised of over 20,000 zip ties!


Aside from being impressed by this stunning form, I initially found it to be quite the political commentary before reading more about the intended design concept; the material iteself read to me as a symbol of globalization, capitalism and waste, while the form - a polar bear - suggested the affect we are having on other species as they slowly slip away off this earth... Thoughts?

Photographs by GLINTstudios...

1 comment:

  1. This is truly amazing!! I have been thinking about this post since I first read it last week (my comment ability was disabled for a bit, but now that is all straightened out, thankfully!). First off, I LOVE installation art, and secondly, I just love the use of zipties to make the polar bear look so fuzzy. Just beautiful. And I love your commentary on this as well--I agree. Great point!

    ReplyDelete